Consider this a question around the theory behind why OSPF
did things a certain way.   Somewhere along the way, Moy
et. al. decided that there was an issue with an ABR processing
a summary LSA.  Based on that, they decided to make a design
decision in OSPF to not allow this behavior.

Apparently the restriction on ABR's processing of summary
LSA information is being relaxed.   This relaxation is
described in the ID.  You are right, the ID is slightly
different than the context of my question.  In the ID, the
ABR is not connected to area 0, where's in my case, it is
connected to area 0.   But the concepts are similar-- there
are times when an ABR should consider and use summary LSA
information.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about adjacencies.
ABR_1 does receive the summary LSAs from ABR_2 and stores
these routes from these summaries in its LSDB for area 1.
So this isn't an adjcency issue.

So, still looking for an answer to the question.  Why is it
that an ABR can not use the information it receives in
a summary LSA as part of the route selection process?
There must be a reason why the spec indicates this is not
allowed, and thus I'm looking for this reason.

Regarding the M$ comment.  It really surprises me how
often folks will cookie-cutter a design based on what
was presented in the last book they skimmed and not try
to understand a topic beyond what's needed to pass an exam.
Just looking for some outside of the box thinking...