So, we started to implement the campus LAN design that I mentioned in
router!

When we do:

int fa0/0
no ip address
int fa0/0.1
encapsulation dot1q 100

The router claims that the "encapsulation" is invalid input.

When we tried to do the IP address first, it says:

Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only allowed if that
subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q,
or ISL vLAN.

(That makes it sound like VLAN trunking is supported!?)

IOS version is 12.1(5).

He's using the Firewall Feature Set (CBAC stuff) es evidenced by "ip
inspect" commands in his config.

Does it not support VLAN trunking??

I've asked him to do "show flash" and "show version" so we can get more
info. What else should I ask for? THANKS

Priscilla