Pris,

I did the below on a  2621 router with the sh ver for ios code ....

Larry

Router(config)#int fa0/1
Router(config-if)#no ip address
Router(config-if)#int fa0/1.1
Router(config-subif)#encap ?
  dot1Q   IEEE 802.1Q Virtual LAN
  isl     Inter Switch Link - Virtual LAN encapsulation
  sde     IEEE 802.10 Virtual LAN - Secure Data Exchange
  tr-isl  Token Ring Inter Switch Link - Virtual LAN encapsulation

Router(config-subif)#encap dot1q ?
    IEEE 802.1Q VLAN ID required, range 1 - 0xFFF.

Router(config-subif)#encap dot1q 10
Router(config-subif)#^Z
ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
System image file is "flash:c2600-js-mz.122-1.bin"
cisco 2621 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x102) with 58368K/7168K bytes
of memory