a sh ver would be helpful.  I have a 2621 running 12.7 ip plus that
supports trunking:

C2621A#sh ver
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IS-M), Version 12.1(7b), RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc1)
Compiled Tue 05-Feb-02 22:16 by cmong
Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x80CBF5D0

C2621A#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
C2621A(config)#inter fa0/1.1
C2621A(config-subif)#encap
C2621A(config-subif)#encapsulation dot
C2621A(config-subif)#encapsulation dot1Q 1
C2621A(config-subif)#

   I generally keep the VLAN and suninterface the same, easier to keep
straight.

   Dave

--
David Madland
CCIE# 2016

"You don't make the poor richer by making the rich poorer." --Winston
Churchill