> Does the CCIE qualification exam itself have any worth.

Aside from making you eligible to register for the Lab, no.

> I know that your not
> a CCIE without giving the actual Lab part of the exam, but how does the
CCIE
> written exam scale on its own, career wise. Does it help improve job
> prospects.

If you're taking the CCIE written exam in order to make yourself more
marketable, then you're taking it for the wrong reason.

> Say if i never appear for the LAB, for any reason, would the written exam
be
> any worth of mention, like say on my resume or as a credential.

In what manner would you mention this on your resume?  Under a list of other
certifications you've attained?  Passing the CCIE written exam does not earn
you a certification, so this would be inappropriate.

Let's be brutally honest here: the reason people are tempted to put "CCIE
Written" on their resume is so that their resume pops up whenever a
headhunter or hiring manager does a search for the term "CCIE."  Since
passing the CCIE written exam is not an official indicator of any tangible
talent for installing and programming Cisco routers and switches, listing
"CCIE Written" on one's resume is tantamount to deceiving the headhunter
(and yourself!).  If you're going to put "CCIE Written" on your resume, you
may as well also put a PhD in Computer Science from MIT - hey, if you're
going to pull the wool over someone's eyes, why not go all the way? ;-)

The CCIE certification exists in order to recognize those who have *proven*
their expert-level skills.  Putting "CCIE Written" on one's resume cheapens
the certification and minimizes the inherent benefits of achieving it.  Say
it once, say it twice, say it a thousand times: passing the CCIE written
exam is not a certification and should not be indicated on one's resume.

(Again, sorry to be so dogmatic about this, but it's one of my hot buttons.
Pancakes are another one, so let's not even go there.)

BJ