The Long and Winding Road wrote:

> this is beginning to sound like a job for TTCP
>
> Check out:
>
> http://www.netcraftsmen.net/id27.htm
>
> for information about this process. I know it is supported on
> Cisco routers,
> although I've not played with it much.
>
> --
> TANSTAAFL
> "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"

It is supported by mid and higher-end routers but Cisco recommends that you
test *through* routers as opposed to testing from or between routers (as you
know, traffic that originates at routers is handled a little differently
than traffic that shows up at an interface).  I've used it several times,
which is one of the reasons I was hoping the original poster would provide
some detail on how the testing was being conducted.  Depending on the
horsepower of the machine that you use to source ttcp, you can approach, and
very likely exceed these days, 45 Mbps.  The last time I used ttcp I was
trying to simulate a saturated T3, but the machine didn't quite have it in
it to crank out test data that fast.