>From the original post, sounds like he was getting repeated messages of
that kind.

rfc3392 is the current release.  2842 is obseleted by 3392.  It does say
in the last para of section 3,

"
The Error Subcode in the message is set to Unsupported Capability.
The message SHOULD contain the capability (capabilities) that causes
the speaker to send the message.  The decision to send the message
and terminate peering is local to the speaker.  If terminated, such
peering SHOULD NOT be re-established automatically.
"

Can the original poster confirm if the notications in the logs were once
from each peer or repeated messages from numerous peers.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Murphy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 7:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: BGP problem [7:60338]

The message format is FACILITY-SEVERITY-MNEMONIC.  So this is a message
from
the BGP Facility, the severity indicates functionality may be affected,
and
the message identifier is 'Notification.'  In this case the Error Code
is 2
(Open) and the SubCode is 7 (Unsupported Capability - see RFC2842).

The only time I've seen this is when there is an address-family
mismatch,
i.e., one peer is ipv4 only, one peer is vpnv4 with ipv4-unicast
disabled,
specifically when configuring MPLS VPNs using MBGP, but I'd expect you'd
see
the same message if you had any sort of address family (or other
optional
capability) mismatch.

Of course, I don't have a PhD, nor my CCIE # yet, so I may not actually
be
worthy of the response I've typed.

Best Regards,

John