>"Vicky Rode"  shaped photons and electrons to say:
>

>see comments in-line:

Yes and no.  Secondaries and VLANs serve different purposes.

Basic IP assumption:    1 physical medium[1] = 1 subnet
Secondary assumption:   1 physical medium[2] = multiple subnets
Basic VLAN assumption:  multiple phyical media [3] = 1 subnet
VLAN with secondaries:  multiple physical media = multiple subnets on all

Notes
-----

[1] Based on the "local versus remote" IP assumption:  if a host is on
     your subnet, you have layer 2 connectivity to it.  if a host is on
     a different subnet, you need to reach it through a router.

     This works nicely for broadcast and point-to-point media.  NBMA
     and demand circuits break the local-vs-remote assumption.

     If you do assume a broadcast* medium, then the physical medium =
     1 broadcast domain = 1 subnet

     (* broadcast is used loosely -- multicast is often closer.  Some
        stupid NICs don't recognize multicasts and treat all multicasts
        as a broadcast.  Broadcasts, indeed, are special cases of
multicasts.)

[2] The medium simultaneously must support a broadcast domain for each
     subnet, unless it is a non-broadcast medium.

[3] The media in different locations are assumed to be linked by L2**
     trunking, typically IEEE 802.1q.  While the trunks do contain
     traffic from multiple subnets, they are effectively tunneled.  The
     only multicasts on the trunk medium are for layer management functions,
     such as 802.1d, 802.1q, VTP, etc.

    (** there are exotic variants where you could carry trunking over
     a conventionally routed tunnel, but let's not go there.)

>----------------------------
>yes you can but when you create sub-interfaces it ask for encapsulation type
>and this is where vlans come into play.

Encapsulation type is one reason to use VLANs, because it does create
different broadcast domains for each encapsulation. This is
preferred, but Cisco certainly has supported secondaries for
different encapsulations -- more an IPX than an IP support technique.

>whereas with secondaries it will
>route between the subnets.
>

>     I'm sorry to be so thick, I'm just not getting it. If a L3 switch (with
>a routing module/engine in it) is essentially a wire speed router, then the
>VLAN just seems like an additional identifier on top of the L3 address - and
>doesn't really serve any purpose.

Not exactly.  It lets you have the _same_ broadcast domain in several
L2 switches.  That's what gives you the portability of hosts from
VLAN (same subnet) to same VLAN in different buildings. There need be
only one router on the subnet, but there can be multiple VLAN
segments connected by trunking.