It depends if you are after theoritical advice, or practical advice.  I have
found it rare to have only L2 in the core (other than when using MPLS).  The
focus of the exam is that the core should add minimum latency to forwarding
decisions, and thus the empahsis on why ACL's, VLAN aggregation etc, should
all be done on the distribution / access layers, leaving the core to be very
efficient.

Not sure if this answers your question, but just my 2cents on what I have
dealt with in the past!

Cheers
Troy