At 11:17 PM 2/25/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Peter,
>
>The current rumour for the Academy CCNP program is that Cisco is dropping
>the 3 layer model and moving to a 2 layer model with L3 in the core for
>the BCMS course.  I guess I'll find out for certain at Networkers in
>Orlando, Fla. this June.

That would be very interesting.  I am always leery of vendor models as they
tend to have the vendor foremost in their mind :-)  I always try and
caution folks not too build hierarchy just to have it.  Naturally, your 15
router OSPF network's visio diagram exudes a great deal more sharpness when
it has a nice backbone and some number of non-backbone areas.  However, in
reality, many networks -large and small- are served far better with non
hierarchical topologies.   I am naturally digressing from the topic of
three layer networks, but I think the message is the same.  As others have
pointed out, don't give in to the desire to build really neat networks that
use a lot of technology unless you actually have a need for them.  This to
me would include building 3 layer networks where 2 layer ones would suffice
(and be cheaper in both CAPEX and OPEX)

Just my .02c as I sit here snowed-in in Arkansas of all places :-)  Who
would think I'd fly from Toronto to Littlerock and end up stuck in more
snow than I left!

Pete