At 11:17 PM +0000 2/25/03, Tom Lisa wrote:
>Peter,
>
>The current rumour for the Academy CCNP program is that Cisco is dropping
>the 3 layer model and moving to a 2 layer model with L3 in the core for

At least in the provider space, L3 gets very nuanced between (G)MPLS
and IP, the latter mostly for (G)MPLS path setup.  The "3 layer
model" works pretty well for good-sized campus networks, but often is
confusing for WANs.

>the BCMS course.  I guess I'll find out for certain at Networkers in
>Orlando, Fla. this June.

Adding to the absurdity of it all, and forgetting that one model
doesn't fit all, Cisco and others have, for some time, used a
four-layer model for service providers:

             Core:        usually MPLS with a fast IGP for next hops
             Distribution:may have levels of internal hierarchy, but
                          usually where most BGP happens -- either
                          gateways to other ISPs or customer BGP
             Collector:   Layer 1/2, but sometimes with IP-based
MPLS/L2TP/etc
                          tunneling, for broadband aggregation.  Media
gateways,
                          DSLAMs, etc.
             Access:      Equipment between ISP and customer, such as a BGP
                          router run by a multihomed customer, a simple
                          static/default router, broadband modems, etc.