Skarphedinsson Arni V. wrote:

> In a Core-Distribution-Access Layer design, would you keep the
> Core L2 or with high end L2/L3 switches such as the Cat6500 do
> you think it would be better to do L3 in the core ?

It's best to always keep in mind where data jumps layers and then mentally
follow your traffic through the network (to the extent possible - it's
probably not that easy, but worth an attempt).  I think a lot of Cisco study
literature still holds to the L2 core concept, but ASICs have come a long
way since the publication of much of those texts.  An optimally configured
L3 network will only be consulting the routing engine at the creation of
flows and then the ASICs will do everything essentially at L2 afterwards.

Having said that, it to a large extent can depend on how high up the product
hierarchy you can afford to go.  Lower-end stuff might still be faster with
a true L2 box interconnecting L3 devices in some cases.  So it helps to look
at the capabilities of the specific products you have in mind and try to do
a traffic analysis that takes into account how packets/frames will be
routed/switched by that specific hardware set.

Regards,

Scott