From: Howard C. Berkowitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 25 February 2003 22:27
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: L3 Switching Huh???? [7:63728]

At 7:34 PM +0000 2/25/03, Bob Sinclair wrote:
>Charles,
>
>Regarding the meaning of the term "switch",  let me quote a few lines
>from my favorite Net Goddess, Radia Perlman.  She wrote the DEC STP
>protocol and has been very active in protocol development since day
>one.  In her book, Interconnections, she says the following:
>
>"One cynical (and ungrammatical) definition I use for switch is 'a
marketing
>term that means fast'"   p. 127
>
>She goes on to suggest that the term switch should be used for "a box
>that moves data."

Seriously, the preferred IETF approach is to deal separately with
control (e.g., routing protocol) and forwarding planes. Control
planes populate RIBs optimized for updating by routing protocols, and
create FIBs optimized for doing fast destination lookup on forwarding
elements.

>She further suggests that we get into the habit of specifying as
>follows:
>
>Layer 1 switch = hub
>Layer 2 switch = bridge
>Layer 3 switch = router
>
>Strongly recommend her book.  The lady has a lot of style.

I don't remember if she's still doing a protocol design seminar as
she used to do at Interop, but she's a delightful speaker, once you
get used to the idea of somebody being a stereotyped New York Jewish
Mother nagging packets.

 This email has been content filtered and
 subject to spam filtering. If you consider
 this email is unsolicited please forward
 the email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
 request that the sender's domain be
 blocked from sending any further emails.