DeVoe, Charles (PKI) wrote:

> The decision to send to the RP isn't really based on the VLAN
> is it??
>
> I believe that the decision to send to the Routing Processor
> (RP) is indeed
> based on the VLAN.  When a host wishes to communicate with
> another host, the
> IP on the host determines if the host is on the same subnet or
> not.  If it
> is on the same subnet, it will send an ARP broadcast to
> determine the MAC
> address of the destination host.  If the host is on another
> subnet, the ARP
> request will be for that of the default gateway (aka RP).  The
> RP will strip
> out the source and destination MAC address and replace the
> destination with
> that of host B (or next hop) and place its own MAC address in
> the source
> address.  The IP addresses will not be changed.

You jumped from the ARP to the actual packet.

You also jumped to a conclusion that the switch knows to send the packet to
the RP because of the VLAN? (That was the language I was disputing). The
switch knows because of the destination MAC address.

Also, and this is the most critical, you skipped the step whereby the RP
knows which interface it should use for sending the packet and which
destination MAC address it should use. It knows that because it looks in its
routing table or cache for the destination IP address in the packet. That
allows it to figure out the outgoing interface and send directly to the
recipient or the next hop. In other words it does Layer 3 switching, aka
routing, forwarding, relaying. It bases its forwarding decision on the IP
address.

Networking 101. Extremely silly to be arguing about this.

Here's what happens:

The RP responds to the ARP from the host that is trying to find a MAC
address for its default gateway, which is configured as an IP address.
(We're assuming the mapping of the default gateway IP address to MAC address
is no longer in the host's ARP table. If it were, the ARP wouldn't happen.)

The host then sends the actual packet that resulted in it needing to send an
ARP in the first place.

It puts the default gateway's MAC address in the MAC destination field. It
puts the end station's IP address in the IP destination field.

So the RP (which we're assuming is the default gateway) takes in the frame,
strips off the MAC header and looks at the destination IP address to
determine how to send the frame. In other words, it does Layer 3
"switching," sometimes also called relaying, forwarding, or routing. If
necessary, it will ARP to get the MAC address of the final destination (if
it's local) or next-hop destination.

> Switches and Bridges make decisions based on MAC address (layer
> 2).  Routers
> make decisions based on IP address (layer 3).
>
> So is the RP making routing decisions based on the MAC
> address???

No, of course not.

Priscilla