James,

On a switch, the VLAN that the IP address is assigned to defines the
management interface. The switch can only have one management interface and
thus, only one IP address. When the IP address was assigned to VLAN 1 (the
default) then devices that connect directly to ports attached to VLAN 1
could access it. If you are connected to a port that ISN'T assigned to the
VLAN that the IP address is attached to, then you need to use a router to
connect to it. Just as you would for any other IP address in another subnet.

Remember, a VLAN is just a way to disperse a subnet over multiple locations.

Hope this helps,
Karen