J. Johnson wrote:

> Grr.  My previous email was cut off.  The upshot is that the
> switch does not
> have a default route (it's a switch, after all, not a router)
> so it cannot
> respond to the icmp request.  Is it possible to set a default
> router for
> the interface (in this case, vlan 7) that has the IP address
> assigned to
> it?

You can give most switches a default gateway (router) and also do static
routing. I think the command is "set ip route" on a set-based switch. I'm
not sure if that would fix your problem, but it might. Also check the 2900
documentation here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2900/cgcr29k/index.htm

Also feel free to repost questions in a new thread. For folks that do this
over the Web, they aren't likely to click through to a thread this old. Of
course, telling the whole story might be difficult again, so you might want
to ask very specific questions. But then again, people assume you're a
newbie sometimes if you do that, so be careful with the wording.

Well, I'll keep clicking through anyway. I really want you to solve the
problem! It's an interesting one!

Priscilla