Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> You gotta get it to stop doing that! ;-) Seriously, why doesn't the Linux
> router-on-a-stick know that the destination is local, on VLAN 7? Shouldn't
> it know not to send this packet to another router? It should just ARP for
> the destination and send the packet, perhaps tagged for VLAN 7.

I've tried it both ways, with the address in the linux router's table, and
with it redirecting to the 3600.  I'll put 10.0.0.6 back in the linux
router's table and sniff ... Yep, it behaves similarly (but with the extra
routing hop to the 3600 removed.)  Now, the icmp request goes from the box
on oreilly.net up vlan5 through the 2950 switch to the linux router, back
out vlan7 to the switch, and the switch does an arp request out vlan 7 for
the originating box.  Vlan 7 doesn't include oreilly.net, so the arp
request goes unanswered.

> VLAN 7! ;-) Of course, it is in fact seeing that IP address coming in on
> VLAN 7, so maybe it assumes that's where the address is really located and
> ARPs to there. The source IP address has been remaining the same
> throughout all this, though the MAC addresses have been changing. It sees
> the source IP address for oreilly come in on VLAN 7. Could that be
> confusing it? I don't think it should, but it might.

 Thank you - of course the switch is
confused.  Think of how ping usually works:

BOX A --- ROUTER B --- ... --- ROUTER Y --- BOX Z

A pings Z, but since it doesn't know Z's MAC address it sends the request to
a router, which is B.  A knows how to do this because it has a routing
table, or it knows a default router.  B and all intervening routers do the
same until the packet gets to Y.  Now Y has to do the same to get the
response back to A.  ---> However, if Z doesn't know where A is, it also
has to send the response to a router.

James