J. Johnson wrote:

> It looks like the switch is not forwarding the
> packets to the router for some reason, even though it does forward packets
> for other 10.0.0.X addresses.

What I wrote above is not correct.  (I was sniffing an unused port on the
switch which I thought was properly set up to mirror the other ports.
Somehow it was set up incorrectly.  Apologies for the error.)  The icmp
echo request packets get to the linux router on the trunk via vlan 5, and
back out to the switch on the trunk on vlan 7.  They then go from the
switch to the 3600 router, and back out to the switch.

All this is as it should be - packets go from oreilly.net to the default
router, the linux router, which then forwards them to its default router,
the 3600, which routes them according to its table.  The 3600's table says
that 10.0.0.6 is directly connected to the same port that the packet
arrived on, so it returns the packet to the switch.

Now the packet stalls.  The switch sends out an arp request onto vlan 7 for
the MAC of the box on oreilly.net that originally sent out the packet.  Of
course, there is no reply, since oreilly.net is on vlan 5.

The only way I see to fix this is to enable proxy arp (is that the cisco
terminology too?) on one of the routers.  Is there a better way to handle
this?

James