Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> Hmm. Well maybe I didn't really want you to get your scope out
> then, but rather a protocol analyzer. That didn't sound as
> "appealing" though. :-)
>
> I'm most interested in the fields in the Cisco HDLC header. OK,
> I guess I'm curious about the signal too, now that you picqued
> my interest!

We used to have a good number of WAN PAs laying around, but not anymore.  So
they're more difficult for me to get my hands on in a lab environment
(they're usually out making money somewhere).  I've been looking at this
sort of thing on o'scopes long enough that I know a 7E7E when I see it.
I'll be setting this up in next few hours if there is, in fact, a scope in
the "tool crib."

> It occurs to me that on another thread I mentioned that we
> could discuss just about anything on this list, except maybe
> the ones and zeros sent across a line, and here we are
> discussing the ones and zeros! I love it.

Understanding the nuts and bolts of ones and zeros transmission isn't
terribly difficult once you've been around it a while (but not to be taken
for granted!).  Not too many folks bother or have the test equipment +
opportunity, though.  That leaves a profitable niche market out there --
especially if you truly understand timing and synchronization of serial
comm.  Again, not terribly difficult but rare these days.

I love it too!