MADMAN wrote:

> Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> > MADMAN wrote:

> >>from our

> >>   HDLC is more efficient so I guess yes.
> >

> > In what way is HDLC more efficient than PPP?
>
>    Since there is a little less overhead it is more efficient
> but not to
> the extent that one should be concerned.

Cisco HDLC may have a couple bytes less than PPP in its header. Not a big
deal, as you say.

> >>If I recall
> >>correctly,
> >>(someone will let me know if not;) PPP rides on top of HDLC.
>
>    You definately know more details than I but I did a quick
> search and
> the second item on this URL mentions the PPP/HDLC relationship
> so I
> somewhat in the ballpark no? ;)

OK, in the ballpark. :-) One way to look at it is that PPP specifies the
2-byte protocol field, but then uses an HDLC-like header for the other
parts. The older RFC for PPP (1331) specifies the PPP header:

Flag 1 byte (01111110)
Address 1 byte
Control 1 byte
Protocol 2 bytes (not present in most HDLC derivatives, though added by
Cisco for Cisco HDLC)
info (variable)
FCS 2 bytes
Flag 1 byte (01111110)

The current RFC for PPP (1661) just says this:

"encapsulation requires framing to indicate the beginning and end of the
encapsulation. Methods of providing framing are specified in companion
documents."

Real helpful. :-) Sort of implies you could do something shorter if desired,
though?

Now, notice that if you do use the wording that "PPP rides on top of HDLC,"
as you did, it's not quite right and it's referring to the generic HDLC, not
Cisco HDLC. Cisco HDLC just has this:

Address - 1 byte
Control - 1 bytes
Protocol - 2 bytes

It's curious that Cisco HDLC doesn't have the flag fields. Maybe they just
aren't mentioned in the only document I have on Cisco HDLC?? The 0x7E flag
is present in most derivatives of HDLC, including SDLC. It's used to signal
the beginning and end of a frame and can be sent multiple times and during
silence to keep the link up, from what I remember. Howard would know for
sure, but I thought it was necessary in order for the other end to synch up.
Don't cringe, Howard. :-) Bit stuffing is required to make sure it doesn't
show up in the actual data. Well, that might explain why Cisco dropped it!

Priscilla