Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> MADMAN wrote:
> >
> > Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> performance

> > > In what way is HDLC more efficient than PPP?
> >
> >    Since there is a little less overhead it is more efficient
> > but not to
> > the extent that one should be concerned.
>
> Cisco HDLC may have a couple bytes less than PPP in its header.
> Not a big deal, as you say.

> >    You definately know more details than I but I did a quick
> > search and
> > the second item on this URL mentions the PPP/HDLC relationship
> > so I
> > somewhat in the ballpark no? ;)
>
> OK, in the ballpark. :-) One way to look at it is that PPP
> specifies the 2-byte protocol field, but then uses an HDLC-like
> header for the other parts. The older RFC for PPP (1331)
> specifies the PPP header:
>
> Flag 1 byte (01111110)
> Address 1 byte
> Control 1 byte
> Protocol 2 bytes (not present in most HDLC derivatives, though
> added by Cisco for Cisco HDLC)
> info (variable)
> FCS 2 bytes
> Flag 1 byte (01111110)
>
> The current RFC for PPP (1661) just says this:
>
> "encapsulation requires framing to indicate the beginning and
> end of the encapsulation. Methods of providing framing are
> specified in companion documents."
>
> Real helpful. :-) Sort of implies you could do something
> shorter if desired, though?
>
> Now, notice that if you do use the wording that "PPP rides on
> top of HDLC," as you did, it's not quite right and it's
> referring to the generic HDLC, not Cisco HDLC. Cisco HDLC just
> has this:
>
> Address - 1 byte
> Control - 1 bytes
> Protocol - 2 bytes
>
> It's curious that Cisco HDLC doesn't have the flag fields.
> Maybe they just aren't mentioned in the only document I have on
> Cisco HDLC?? The 0x7E flag is present in most derivatives of
> HDLC, including SDLC. It's used to signal the beginning and end
> of a frame and can be sent multiple times and during silence to
> keep the link up, from what I remember.

Every HDLC derivative I've ever worked with uses the ol' 7E7E idle pattern.
Next time I have an o'scope out, I'll take a peek at a Cisco HDLC
encapsulated link.

>Howard would know for
> sure, but I thought it was necessary in order for the other end
> to synch up.

Than's the general idea.  You don't want to wait until there's data to be
transferred before declaring protocol down.  Loss of, say, three consecutive
idles can trigger a protocol down condition.