Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
> MADMAN wrote:
>
>>Stuart Pittwood wrote:
>>
>>>It has been mooted to me that we might get better performance
>>
>>from our
>>
>>>1Mb line by using HDLC rather than PPP.
>>>

>>>Is this correct?
>>
>>   HDLC is more efficient so I guess yes.
>

> In what way is HDLC more efficient than PPP?

   Since there is a little less overhead it is more efficient but not to
the extent that one should be concerned.

>>If I recall
>>correctly,
>>(someone will let me know if not;) PPP rides on top of HDLC.

   You definately know more details than I but I did a quick search and
the second item on this URL mentions the PPP/HDLC relationship so I
somewhat in the ballpark no? ;)

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/ppp.htm

   Dave

> I would be glad to correct you. :-)
>
> HDLC is really more of an architecture than a specific protocol and there
> are many derivatives of it. PPP is just one of them, as is Cisco's HDLC.
> Other derivitaves include LAPB, LAPD, and LLC2.
>
> The standard PPP and Cisco HDLC are so similar in frame format you can
> barely tell them apart.
>
> Cisco HDLC encapsulation has:
>
> one-byte address field, which is set to 0x0F for most frames
> one-byte control byte that is always set to 0x00
> two-byte protocol type field
>

> Guess what PPP has? Essentially the exact same thing:
>
> one-byte flag field set to 0x7F
> one-byte address field, set to 0x11
> one-byte control field set to 0xC0
> one or two-byte protocol field
>

> Both HDLC and PPP also have a control protocol for keeping the link up.
HDLC