At 5:41 PM +0000 3/10/03, Logan, Harold wrote:
>I have a question about this setup, but it's more deisgn-oriented than
>configuration. What's the benefit of having redundant ISPs if they both
>connect to one router?

Single router with multiple ISPs:  Protects you against failure in the
                                    ISP routing system. Both ISPs still
                                    may get bad routing data. No guard
against
                                    router or local loop failure.

Multiple routers to different POPs of the same ISP:  Protects you against
                                    local loop failure, lets you contract
                                    for physical route diversity within
                                    the ISP. No guard against ISP-wide
                                    routing failure. You may be able to
                                    negotiate multiple upstreams.

Multiple routers to different ISPs: may or may not protect against local
                                    loop failure, depending on how far apart
                                    you place the routers. Potentially decent
                                    protection against routing failure. Still
                                    vulnerable if there is a common upstream.