In this case, was the file really infected or did Norton throw a false positive? At this point, we really don't know which product is producing an error. How about downloading AVG and scanning this file again?( they have free and trial versions)

Lyle

Jim Maul wrote:
Sean Pinegar wrote:
I trusted clamav for a long time but ran across an interesting problem today. I received an e-mail from a friend that included a powerpoint. I opened the powerpoint in linux and wine flagged it as a virus (not sure how wine knew there was a virus...can anyone enlighten me on that?). I scanned it with clamav and it said the file was ok. I scanned it with norton and it came up as being infected. I updated clamAV and tried again, same results..the file was ok. I was just curious if anyone else has ran into this type of problem? I dont want to ditch clamAV but i have to do whats best for the business.

-Sean-

Things like this occur frequently, and not just with clamav. If you have a file that is not detected, you should submit it so that a signature can be included in future updates.

Also, whats best for the business is to run multiple virus scanners and not rely on a single one.

-Jim