Sean wrote....
I trusted clamav for a long time but ran across an interesting problem today.

You aren't looking at the other side of that coin. You can bet (I see it rather frequently) that there are times that clamav catches a virus that norton does not! Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater....

It is for this very reason that inbound mail in setups that I design passes through two different AV packages. I used to think this was rather silly, until a situation arose where I had to have inbound mail go through two different AV packages (my proposed front-end and the customers existing backend). After watching the logs on both packages, I noticed that it was actually pretty frequent/routine that clamav would catch something the other package didn't AND VICE-VERSA. Now I always design in two AV packages - I have learned it is not silly at all.

Jay West