Sean Pinegar wrote:
> I trusted clamav for a long time but ran across an interesting problem today.
> I received an e-mail from a friend that included a powerpoint. I opened the
> powerpoint in linux and wine flagged it as a virus (not sure how wine knew
> there was a virus...can anyone enlighten me on that?). I scanned it with
> clamav and it said the file was ok. I scanned it with norton and it came up
> as being infected.
Bit late joining this... but submit the file to one of these sites...
and you'll hopefully get a clearer picture... maybe ;)

http://www.virustotal.com/
http://virusscan.jotti.org/
http://scanner.virus.org/

They scan a single file with various anti-virus software and give you a
result.   As no single virus scanner gives you 100% protection on every
malware type, right from 0 hour... the above services can be useful.

Cheers,

Steve