Gerard Seibert wrote:

> The solution is simple. All you need do is properly post/advertise that you do
> not support user installed software; i.e., software not supplied by you. Many
> web providers do that presently. You might also strategically place a FAQ
> dealing with ClamAV and it's configuration file. Better yet, provide a
> pre-configured file that your users could download and install.

Mmm... have you ever done tech support? :-)

You're assuming people read FAQs, notifications, etc.  "Correct by default"
defaults are better.

Unfortunately, our business model is such that we have to support a diverse
userbase, including users who install their own Clam packages.  We can't
change that.

> My own opinion is that the developers are not going to change the default
> settings since they are what the majority of users would want enabled by
> default.

Really?  All posters on this thread who gave an opinion wanted
PhishingScanURLs off by default.  I invite users who want
PhishingScanURLs to be on by default to come forward; I'll happily go
with the majority decision.

Regards,

David.