On Mon, 12 Nov 2007, Dennis Peterson wrote:
> Even timid users need to edit the file as a minimum to disable the
> "Example" line. Once there I'm certain they can then change the other
> critical areas that require attention.

>From my point of view, without the phishing code, you can pretty safely
use Clam to divert messages with very nearly 100% accuracy, due to the
signature-based scheme.

With the phishing code enabled, a positive hit is now only suggestive of a
bad message.  You can't use it to block messages outright, which
fundamentally changes the nature of the product.

I might feel differently if Clam hadn't been idiot-proof for years, but
since it's set such a high standard in the past, I think the phishing code
(in its current state) muddies the waters and could easily make a new user
lose confidence in the project.

That said, I like the idea that Clam is experimenting with anti-phishing,
but until the code lives up to Clam's previous block-and-forget standards,
I don't think it's a good idea to make it a default.

I suppose the benefit is that it helps with testing, and driving the point
home to users that the phishing protection is not like the virus
protection.

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator