On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:36:17 +1200
Steve Wray <steve.w...@cwa.co.nz> wrote:

> I know that in certain jurisdictions, reaching out to someone elses
> computer (ie not your property) and disabling functionality on it
> could constitute a criminal act.
> I sincerely hope that someone somewhere under such a jurisdiction
> goes to the police and reports the Clamav developers for such an
> offense.

Points to consider:

1. Everybody on the planet had 6 months warning. (In fact more if you
look at the "outdated software" warnings in your logs).

2. They chose to stop releasing updates for a prehistoric version of
the software.

3. Had they continued to allow these updates, and your systems got
borked because it wasn't stopping any current viruses, you'd still want
to sue. So basically, they were damned if they did, and they'd be
damned if they didn't.

4. What did you pay for the software?

5. Where's your contract with them?

6. The only people who are pissy about it appear to be set and forget
admins -- the ones who don't seem to properly maintain their systems
and monitor really important software like ClamAV.

7. The only systems that broke were badly configured ones. I can stop
ClamAV on my mail servers and mail will continue to flow happily, and
other milters will continue to scan mail. It's just Clam that stops.

8. Had the developers just silently stopped publishing updates for old
versions of ClamAV, then the customers of set-and-forget mail admins
would potentially be in a world of crap. Doing it this way *forced*
people to realise that their software was old and out of date, and
potentially harmful to them and their customers.