Quoting Jim Preston <jimli...@commspeed.net>:

Read what I said. *functional* not security. Like, for example, php is
at 5.2.6 on lenny, unless you configure is differently. That's the whole
point of releases.

There are distros that release functional (feature) upgrades as well
as security/bug upgrades...  Just as there are ones that don't.

Most distros will provide:
1) Security updates.
2) Bug fixes for major bugs.
3) Additional new features (even in the kernel, such as new hardware support)

Most distros will not provide:
1) Kernel changes to existing kernel functionality.
2) Changes to major system libraries which change existing functionality.
3) Changes to major packages which could impact services or processes
   (like a major compiler upgrade, major system library upgrade, etc)

This is sometimes called "preserving the runtime environment", defined
as "the area where the kernel interacts with applications", while
allowing for updates/upgrades which are outside this "runtime environment".

Some distros may, and some may not, provide:
1) Functional updates to various non-critical programs or services
2) Functional updates to various critical programs or services which are
   deemed to not cause any changes to the runtime environment of the system.

Compounding this issue are terminology issues such as the difference
between a "release" and a "version" of the distro, etc.  (For example,
when I talk about a RHEL release I mean RHEL 4 or RHEL 5, and when I talk
about a RHEL versions I mean RHEL 5.1 or RHEL 5.2.  Red Hat calls
these the opposite way (5.1 is a "dot release" where as 4 to 5 is an
version).  So it can be confusing, to say the least.  If I'm using
release in a way you don't intend, then I apologize...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!