On Saturday 08 December 2012 07:34:39 Jim Preston did opine:

> On 12/06/2012 12:12 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >>
> >> You should make no assumptions about the location of the clamd.conf
> >> file. It can be anywhere but is specified by the configure/compile
> >> operation, the installer if built from source, the RPM packager, and
> >> the command line in the launch script. Any or all can be screwed up
> >> or got right by any of the people involved.
> >>
> >> dp
> >
> > Of course I understand that Dennis, but when you go from an old,
> > broken deb install, to a tarball build and then back to a deb
> > install, these installs have no clue that they are replacing a
> > different install, so its best to end the confusion and summarily
> > nuke the old stuff.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Yes, and one way is to do an uninstall before upgrading. I do this for
> each of my clamav upgrades. I have found that each of the distro's tends
> to customize the install location to their own liking and which is
> usually not the same as anyone elses.
>
> Jim

I rather like the idea of putting locally built stuff in /usr/local, and
having that in front in ones $PATH, but frankly, far too little attention
is paid to 2 things:

1. writing a fully functional un-install seems to be beyond the average
coders ability to do.

2. Linux's ability to invalidate its cache when something has been removed
sucks dead toads thru soda straws as my friend Joanne D. is fond of saying.
Often only a &^^*3 reboot will restore that, but I'll at least check to see
if an ldconfig will fix it.  Sometimes it will, but far from always.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It's a poor workman who blames his tools.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...