On 12/08/2012 12:59 AM, Dennis Peterson wrote:
file. It can be anywhere but is specified by the configure/compile
operation, the installer if built from source, the RPM packager, and the
command line in the launch script. Any or all can be screwed up or got
right by any of the people involved.

dp
Of course I understand that Dennis, but when you go from an old, broken deb install, to a tarball build and then back to a deb install, these installs have no clue that they are replacing a different install, so its best to
end the confusion and summarily nuke the old stuff.

Cheers, Gene
Yes, and one way is to do an uninstall before upgrading. I do this for each of my clamav upgrades. I have found that each of the distro's tends to customize the install location to their own liking and which is usually not the same as anyone elses.

Jim

That has made it hard to find multiple sources of distros that will work interchangeably :). And yum and rpm will not remove or replace those packaged files that are not identical to what came from the package which makes it worse. At best you can expect to see a .rpmnew as an extension to duplicated files.

dp

Yes, with yum and rpm you should make sure you have the originally installation package on hand to get the un-installation to work. It is especially important to do the removal procedure if you are switching from one source provider to another such as rpm to build-from-sources.

--
Jim Preston