Am 01.06.2017 um 03:04 schrieb Al Varnell:
I made an attempt to determine whether epl.paypal-communication.com was a
legitimate domain owned by PayPal with very mixed results.

No WhoIs service could identify it directly

and here is stop to read - let me guess you entered "epl.paypal-communication.com" including the subdomain and/or used some obsucre website doing whois requests

[harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ whois paypal-communication.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Domain Name: PAYPAL-COMMUNICATION.COM
   Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC.
   Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 292
   Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com
   Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
   Name Server: NS1.P57.DYNECT.NET
   Name Server: NS2.P57.DYNECT.NET
   Name Server: PDNS100.ULTRADNS.COM
   Name Server: PDNS100.ULTRADNS.NET
   Updated Date: 05-mar-2017
   Creation Date: 06-apr-2011
   Expiration Date: 06-apr-2018

>>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 06:20:04 GMT <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
registrar.  Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.

Domain Name: paypal-communication.com
Registry Domain ID: 1649488607_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
Updated Date: 2017-03-05T02:14:48-0800
Creation Date: 2011-04-06T05:23:32-0700

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-04-06T00:00:00-0700

Registrar: MarkMonitor, Inc.

Registrar IANA ID: 292

Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abusecomplai...@markmonitor.com

Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.2083895740

Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited)

Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited)

Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited) Domain Status: serverUpdateProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#serverUpdateProhibited) Domain Status: serverTransferProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#serverTransferProhibited) Domain Status: serverDeleteProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#serverDeleteProhibited)
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: Domain Administrator
Registrant Organization: PayPal Inc.
Registrant Street: 2211 North First Street,
Registrant City: San Jose
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 95131
Registrant Country: US