Christian Thalinger wrote:

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 11:11 +0100, Philippe Laporte wrote:
There isn't a thousand ways to do a VM. What we need is free VM that is better than any non-free. How are we doing on this one?

Depends on how you interpret "better".  Faster? Smaller? ...?
CLDC, CDC, J2SE, all of these may have a one to many mapping with open-source VMs, each having their preferred niche.

In each of these categories, portability, speed, mem consumption, specs compliance, have different weights.

I mean, it might be sometime before we need something Aicas style, but CDC is sure a near-future candidate.