On 21 May 2014 at 11:28:24, Thomas Kristensen (thomas.kristen...@uswitch.com)
wrote:
> > We're seeing SocketTimeoutExceptions in long running processes,
> with the consequence that no other messages are delivered to
> the subscribe function on that machine. We're doing ack-unless-exception,
> so I just sort of assumed any exceptions like that would result
> in the message being not ack'ed, and the next one being picked
> up. Restarting the process correctly picks up new messages from
> RabbitMQ.
>
> Is there an undocumented best practice for handling SocketTimeoutExceptions?
> I'd really very much like to continue consuming from the channel
> :)

You did not post a stack trace to suggest anything. Socket exceptions in the
RabbitMQ client should trigger a
connection recovery. They also will be raised on the I/O thread so you cannot
catch them from "user" code, e.g. ack-unless-exception.

If SocketTimeoutExceptions is thrown by something else, it should be caught like
any other exception.
--
MK

Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ