On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 7:03:13 PM UTC-5, Mark wrote:

> Yes, I think most of the problems can be solved through prefixing
> (although the solution is a bit hacky, IMO) but the real problem with the
> global registry is that its not based on an abstraction but a concrete
> implementation.  The only specific problem I can think of right now is the
> incidental complexity related to garbage collection - like Steve points out.

I look forward to when that is an issue. :)

> If the registry were based on an abstraction, I can imagine a few fun
> experiments.  Right now, the implementation assumes that the registry is
> loaded when a namespace is initialized.  Why not load the registry from a
> database, edn files or off the network?  Piling onto the network idea, why
> not have a true global registry which gets updated as Clojure developers
> publish specs in real time?

Nothing is stopping you from running code to load the registry via a
database, edn files, or off a network. s/form exists exactly for the
purpose of allowing you to extract specs as edn suitable for sending
through a network, files, etc. Also, saying no now does not mean saying no
forever - we can always expand support for more registry support later.