> Understanding the difference and why it's important are far more
> illuminating than just forcing your prior model (like tupelo's
> prepend/append). If your goal is education, then it's doubly important to
> take this journey. It may be a few stops longer, but you'll actually learn
> a lot more and create a mental model that will help you understand more of
> Clojure's philosophy.

We both agree *eventually* it is important for students to understand the
journey you are referring to.  I think where we possibly disagree is what
to do in the absolute beginner programming courses.  For those I think I'd
still vote for something like  tupelo's prepend/append for a few weeks
until they get their programming legs.

What is beautiful is that this does not involve some addition to the
language standard or controversial vote to make it happen.  Basically,
teachers can start with a beginners'
library installed by default which they can discard later.  Think of such
libraries as training wheels.  They aren't meant to last forever.

cs