I think in my attempt to fix the problem, I masked a symptom.

When I saw that I didn't have the key mappings, I added some autocmds
to my .vimrc. From reading the vim plugin, I believe those should have
been generated automatically when a *.clj file is loaded. Removing
those autocmds from the .vimrc and the mappings go away.

Reading the vimclojure plugin, I see that it checks for the existence
of b:vimclojure_namespace before adding those mappings. When I do
a :echo b:vimclojure_namespace, I get an undefined variable error.

Jim