On May 21, 10:38 am, Chas Emerick <cemer...@snowtide.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing glitz and visual impact is what's going to wow the crowd,
> especially in that environment, where it's likely that most people are
> steeped in "business applications".
>
> Perhaps using one of the clojure-processing wrappers to do some
> outrageously-slick data visualization, and then showing how little
> code is required to do it and how much leverage the language provides
> when addressing changes in requirements?  Maybe the slick visual
> impact part can be merged with the "business application" mindset by
> generating a report that includes the data visualization (I think PDF
> generation is built into processing).

Last year the JRuby demo was a fancy graphics thing that utilized the
motion sensor in the laptop + OpenGL or something. It really said
little about JRuby (IMO), other than that being on the JVM lets you
reach these libs, and perf was good enough.

I'd like to do something modest but distinguishing. I have a vague
notion of showing some Clojure data originating in some XML off the
web, being passed to some filtering/walking code, getting displayed,
stored in a DB, all without specific DOM/model/recordset APIs, a
couple of lines for each task. This demonstrating the difference of
not being OO - using generic abstract data types like maps everywhere.

Help wanted in implementing some demo code.

Rich