James Reeves <weavejes...@googlemail.com> writes:

> On Aug 4, 12:51 pm, Krešimir Šojat <kso...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In your project you would create standard ivy.xml and ivysettings.xml
>> files as described on Ivy site. Download Ivy (and Ant jars if you will
>> create or use Packagers). After that you can retrieve your
>> dependencies from command line
>
> As Piyush mentions, Rubygems is a little more straightforward to use
> than that. I'd like a package manager where it was not necessary to
> create a project or write any XML files before use.

I wholeheartedly agree.

The main difference between Rubygems and what you would need with
Clojure is that Ruby can modify the load-path at runtime, while Clojure
cannot. Because of this, Corkscrew unpacks all the dependencies into a
subdirectory within the project itself so they are all in one place.

> It might be possible to adapt Ivy into a package manager like this;
> one that isn't tied to resolving dependencies for one particular
> project. However, I'm not sure that would be any easier than writing
> one from scratch.

I don't know about Ivy, but wrapping Maven is quite trivial. Corkscrew
is only about 200 LOC and already supports all the interesting bits. Ivy
actually borrows Maven's repository format, so there's only one to
support there.

-Phil