Hi,

On Aug 5, 10:32 am, Lauri Pesonen <lauri.peso...@iki.fi> wrote:

> John Newman brought up a good point as well concerning support for
> other possible clojure platforms like JS, CLR, and Parrot: if we
> support Java library packaging than shouldn't we also support
> packaging on other platforms?

The history book on the shelf / is always repeating itself.

I think there was some meta package manager, which created
from one description a .deb, .rpm, .tgz, whatever to bridge the
Linux distros. Something like that would be necessary than.
I'm not sure something like that exists to create an installer
for Unix, Windows and OS X from the same description.

> Maybe the first step should be to provide something that
> works for clojure code and worry about Java / C# / ... libraries
> only later?

<opinion>
I'm sorry. No. I think one of the big pluses of Clojure is the
easy integration of the quadrizillion Java libraries out there.
So I don't have to wait for a Clojure implementations of some
particular library. I think it will still be a long way until such
a wealthy flora of libraries will exist in pure Clojure.
If the packager doesn't solve my problems *now*, I don't need it.
</opinion>

> Btw. how does Ruby Gems deal with external dependencies like C
> libraries? Will the gem install simply fail if an external dependency
> is not met? And is that analogous to a missing Java library in
> Clojure's case? I guess one difference is the fact that an installed C
> library (at least on Unix) is installed in a globally accessable
> location on the filesystem, whereas Java libs don't have such
> conventions (or do they these days?).

Well, this is independent of whether you have a C or Java
library. You can install each C library in its own directory
and tell the linker to look there. Then you have basically
a .jar like setup: If you don't tell the linker the right directory
the library "is not there". Similar you can declare "/usr/java/lib"
as your global directory and unzip each and every jar there.
Then configure your java launcher to add that directory to
the classpath and you have a setup, like the usual one
for C libraries. So this could even be system policy.

All these setups can be done (more or less comfortable)
with today existing solutions for Java. Instead of re-inventing
those, it would be more useful to abstract away their specifics.
Create a meta-package manager which creates JVM, CLR
and whatever packages sitting on the existing infrastructure
for the respective platform.

Then it is also possible to hook from the platform into
Clojure. I think I saw something like "Accessing Clojure
from Jython/JRuby/Jsomething". So even none-Clojure
projects might want to use a clojure library for some
reason. Providing them platform-usual dependency
handling would be an additional plus.

Any CLR experts around? How does the packaging work
there?

Sincerely
Meikel