2009/8/4 Meikel Brandmeyer <m...@kotka.de>:

> I think, "clojure context" is underestimating things. The high
> integration
> of external Java libraries makes it necessary that such dependencies
> can be handled in the same way.

Agreed. I was actually going to write that whatever approach is chosen
it must be able to handle Java dependencies as well, but somehow it
got lost in the edits ;-)

John Newman brought up a good point as well concerning support for
other possible clojure platforms like JS, CLR, and Parrot: if we
support Java library packaging than shouldn't we also support
packaging on other platforms? Maybe the first step should be to
provide something that works for clojure code and worry about Java /
C# / ... libraries only later?

Btw. how does Ruby Gems deal with external dependencies like C
libraries? Will the gem install simply fail if an external dependency
is not met? And is that analogous to a missing Java library in
Clojure's case? I guess one difference is the fact that an installed C
library (at least on Unix) is installed in a globally accessable
location on the filesystem, whereas Java libs don't have such
conventions (or do they these days?).

--
  ! Lauri