On Thursday 08 April 2010 07:08:43 Phil Hagelberg wrote:

Hi Phil,

> Both those options sound like an awful lot of work.  I'm curious as to
> what advantages there are to this method over the original
> installation instructions.

To me, all this stuff seems to magical, for example that swank-clojure
downloads the required clojure/contrib jars (at least the comment in the
el-file says so).  How do I know what version it will fetch?  How does
it know when to update those jars?

I already installed leiningen, so all clojure files are already
contained in leiningen-1.1.0-standalone.jar somewhere in
~/.m2/repository/.  Can I use those somehow?

> Do you realize that package.el is going to be included in Emacs 24?

Well, in general I think that's a good thing.  But it has to be enhanced
with better version checking.  For example, I used to have a SLIME CVS
checkout and used that for my lisp editing needs.  But swank-clojure
from ELPA requires some older SLIME version only accible via ELPA again.

This "use one ELPA package and catch (already accessible duplicate)
dependencies" is a bad thing, IMO.  But I guess it will become better as
soon as ELPA matures and is accepted as emacs package standard.

BTW: Now I installed slime, slime-repl, clojure-mode and swank-clojure
from ELPA.  I symlinked the leiningen-1.1.0-standalone.jar in the maven
repo from ~/.clojure/ so that the jar should be picked up.  When I do

  M-x slime RET

I only get this error:

,----
| Clojure 1.1.0
| user=> java.io.FileNotFoundException: Could not locate
swank/swank__init.class or swank/swank.clj on classpath:  (NO_SOURCE_FILE:0)
| user=> user=> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: swank.swank (NO_SOURCE_FILE:0)
| user=> user=> nil
| java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: swank.swank (NO_SOURCE_FILE:0)
`----

What's wrong?

Bye,
Tassilo