On Thursday 08 April 2010 12:28:07 Alex Osborne wrote:

Hi Alex,

> > To me, all this stuff seems to magical, for example that
> > swank-clojure downloads the required clojure/contrib jars (at least
> > the comment in the el-file says so).  How do I know what version it
> > will fetch?  How does it know when to update those jars?
>
> It will only download anything if ~/.swank-clojure and ~/.clojure
> don't exist.

Ah, then that's my problem.  I already have a ~/.clojure/ directory with
a user.clj, the leiningen jar, and some additional jars, but not
swank-clojure.jar.  ~/.swank-clojure doesn't exist, though.

> If you create either of those directories manually and populate it
> with clojure.jar, clojure-contrib.jar and swank-clojure.jar (and any
> other jars you like) then you can use whatever versions you like.

To get swank-clojure.jar I need to check out the project from github and
use "lein jar" to generate the jar, right?  Or is it possible to
download a ready-made jar?

> Also note that they're only used when you use M-x slime.  If you use
> M-x swank-clojure-project instead then it'll add these subdirectories
> to the classpath:
>
>   src/
>   classes/
>   lib/*.jar
>
> So for example if you have a leiningen project and run lein deps so
> the lib directory is populated with clojure, contrib, swank-clojure
> and anything else your project needs, then when you run M-x
> swank-clojure-project and point it at your project's directory, it'll
> completely disregard ~/.swank-clojure and use those jars.

Isn't it a bad idea to include all deps into a project, so that one ends
up with so much duplication?

Bye,
Tassilo