On Apr 8, 12:45 pm, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I have 10 Clojure projects I'm going to have 10 src/clojure.jar
> files. Do they really need to be there or could I just use the clojure
> that comes with my operating system (Debian)?
>
> When I hack Common Lisp I don't copy sbcl into all my projects, I just
> install it once globally. I'd like to do the same with clojure.

Although I'm with you about ELPA and preferring the traditional way to
install Emacs packages, I disagree on this point. I find it
counterproductive to think of Clojure and its distribution in the same
terms as Common Lisp's. It's easier to think of Clojure apps more like
Java apps which happen to use a much better language.

I actually prefer to have a lib/clojure-X.Y.Z.jar in my project. This
guarantees that, as long as the deployment machine has a Clojure-
supporting JVM, the app has no other system-level dependencies. It
also allows flexibility with trying out unreleased and unpackaged
versions of Clojure. This eliminates the hideous mess in most
distributions of having packages like python24, python25, python26,
python30 (and resulting things like python24-somelib and python26-
somelib).