Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> writes:

> To get swank-clojure.jar I need to check out the project from github and
> use "lein jar" to generate the jar, right?  Or is it possible to
> download a ready-made jar?

You can just download it by hand from Clojars if you like:

http://clojars.org/repo/swank-clojure/swank-clojure/

I've never had a problem with the stable 1.1.0 version fine, or you can
try the 'break' snapshot which has better debugging support.

>> So for example if you have a leiningen project and run lein deps so
>> the lib directory is populated with clojure, contrib, swank-clojure
>> and anything else your project needs, then when you run M-x
>> swank-clojure-project and point it at your project's directory, it'll
>> completely disregard ~/.swank-clojure and use those jars.
>
> Isn't it a bad idea to include all deps into a project, so that one ends
> up with so much duplication?

What is a "bad idea" is subjective and depends on your use case and your
workflow.  You may need to use a particular version of Clojure for a
particular project, for example because AOT-compiled 1.1.0 and git
master are incompatible.  Similarly I find having a project checkout
fully self-contained so that it can just be copied to a server and run
without any prior setup except having a JVM installed extremely handy.
But it seems a lot of people don't agree and would prefer to save a small
amount of disk space by sharing jars between projects.

It's up to you really, you can use symlinks if you prefer (and there's
apparently a patch you can apply to Lein that makes it use symlinks).
There's also a branch of Lein which allows you to use checked out
projects as dependencies which lets you hack on multiple inter-dependent
projects at once nicely:

http://groups.google.com/group/leiningen/browse_thread/thread/f67cb42c06515e53