On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Kevin Downey <redc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I spent a lot of time on a windows netbook writing solutions to euler
> project problems notepad++ and just pasting the functions into a repl
> running in a console. It worked great.

Yup, and that's just fine _for you_ but you are not the target
demographic being discussed :) For folks comfortable with a command
line and a simple text editor, the REPL is a very reasonable "first
step". I come from a Unix background in the 80's and, like you, I'm
perfectly happy with a REPL and vim - but these days I live in Eclipse
so, for me, CCW is the best choice (with a live REPL open in Eclipse
all the time).

I guess the question is: how serious are we about catering to the
general developer at large? My experience over the years, dealing with
a lot of Windows developers, is what makes me push back on this. I've
seen a very large number of experienced developers on Windows who
don't know how to do anything on the command line - if it doesn't have
a GUI, they won't touch it.

So, do we want to help those developers learn Clojure?

If our consensus answer as a community is "no", that's fine but I just
want us to be clear about that. The Scala community get flak for a
widely perceived attitude that says "if you're too dumb to understand
the type system, go away and stop bothering us". I hear from a lot of
Clojure n00bs who find the focus on the command line (and the focus on
Emacs!) to be very off-putting. I'd rather we didn't alienate those
folks but I don't know how the Clojure community as a whole feels
about that?
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/