On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Colin Yates <colin.ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Getting started should be the smallest set of steps possible; the REPL.

http://try-clojure.org is probably the very simplest step. Nothing to
download or install and it has a built in tutorial. And that is the
very first step on Nick's suggested page.

The second step Nick suggests is a decent tutorial and 4clojure for
learning more about solving problems (again, without installing
anything). Mark's tutorial does cover the REPL as a first step
(although it refers to the richhickey repo and talks about building
Clojure from source as an alternative to just using the downloaded
JARs - which really needs to be fixed - but it also mentions
Leiningen, which is good).

The third step on Nick's page is Clooj, followed by Leiningen. Using
Leiningen to hide classpath issues and dependency management is a very
good thing for Clojure beginners (esp. if they come from a non-Java
background).

This seems to be the piece causing all the friction here. Perhaps it
just needs some additional wording to point people at Clooj if they
want a simple, integrated editor that handles Clojure installation
etc, and some wording to point people at Leiningen if they want a
simple, command line way to experiment with Clojure?

Given what we're trying to address here, I think I'd move Mark's
tutorial down below the Clooj / Leiningen suggestions since it suffers
from some of the same problems we're already trying to address.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."