I don't think it looks for tools.jar specifically, it probably just uses the
classes in there so as long as they're on the classpath you should be fine.
I wouldn't worry about it unless you see an error saying it can't find some
classes that googling reveals are in tools.jar.

The README doesn't mention any cake plugins, that's why cake ritz isn't
working. If cake supports lein plugins then maybe you didn't do lein plugin
install ritz 0.1.7.

Perhaps use lein or the maven plugin instead.

Scott