Dear Everyone,

I would like to make a suggestion for the future of Clojure, and
hopefully prompt a discussion. My comment comes as a result of my
experience trying to port code to 1.3. I have run into numerous
problems, most of which come from 1.3's incompatibilities with my 1.2-
targeted code and the libraries I am using.

While I hope and expect that none of the problems I'm encountering are
insurmountable, they are requiring substantial time and effort. It
raises the question of what happens to all of the many existing
Clojure 1.2-based libraries in Clojars and on github. Many of these
are very useful, but not necessarily actively maintained. A lot of
effort will need to go into porting this code and much of it may be
effectively lost. That seems like an unfortunate waste and it
undermines the growing ecosystem of Clojure libraries.

So my request for Clojure's future development, is that backwards
compatibility not be broken. This means that Clojure code needs a way
of designating what Clojure version it is targeted for. Then, for
example, the Clojure 1.4 jar should be able to "drop down" into
backwards compatibility mode to compile and run 1.3-code, or invoke a
1.3-script's vars from a 1.4 script. It would also be super-cool if
someone can figure out how to do this for existing 1.2 libraries.

I love that Clojure is being constantly improved and developed, and I
thank everyone who has been working so hard on it. In my opinion,
though, third-party libraries are as important as the core language.
Clojure 1.3 interoperates with java libraries very well -- so why not
with Clojure 1.2 libraries?

Best regards,
Arthur